Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Rolled Fondant




So, I have entered the wonderful world of rolled fondant. Since many of you are like me and have no idea what fondant is, I will try to explain. Rolled fondant originated from England where they cover fruitcakes in fondant to keep them moist. Fondant is a dough-like covering for a cake that creates a satin, smooth finish. It is edible, but in my opinion it doesn't taste that great. It also is a great medium to make beautiful roses and decorations for a cake. As a matter of fact, I have never been able to make good looking roses with buttercream icing, but my fondant roses ROCK!



The above cake is my first attempt at covering a cake in fondant. Below are some pictures of me preparing for my grand finale cake for my Wilton cake class. The white balls are made out of rolled fondant and the daisies are made out of royal icing. These need to be prepared in advance so that they have time to dry and then can be applied to the cake the day that I put it all together. I can't wait to show you my grand finale cake. It is a tiered cake that I designed myself. I will be putting it together next Monday. Until next time...






4 comments:

  1. Joy, These cakes are just so beautiful! I always knew you were talented, just didn't know you could bake and decorate cakes as well!
    Love you girl!
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl!! Oh my goodness!! You just sealed the deal for me....you are super incredible! I love you and wish you were about 750 miles closer to me! :) YUMMY!!!!
    Leigh Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joy! Not to bombard you but I wanted to share a website with you that I just love. It is called (or rather she is called)Bakerella and she does some cool things I thought you might be interested in looking at. Enjoy! http://bakerella.blogspot.com/
    Love you!
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! I appreciate your compliments. Robyn, You are so right...I have already discovered Bakerella and I love what she does. I really like the chick pops that she just posted, they are so cute! -Joy

    ReplyDelete