Friday, November 4, 2011

Old New Pants

Hey guys!
I was shopping the other day. I realized that I was in need of some black slacks and needed them quickly. So, like many times before, I headed to the local thrift shop in hopes of find something that would work.
Well, I tried on at least a few dozen pair of pants before I found "the ones". They fit great and in the dressing room they looked like a really good find. I was so excited! I had only spent $6.00 and found the perfect pair of black slacks. All my problems were solved, at least a few of them were. That was until I got home, washed the pants and went to put them on. What I had not noticed while in the dressing room was that there were at least three holes in these pants. And let's just put it this way, the holes were not in great places. So, needless to say, I didn't end up finding the perfect pair of pants after all.
As I was thinking about those pants, I realized that many times I think about people in the same way. I see a person and I think, they look like they have their life together. And I want to get to know them better. As I get to know that person, I start to see the not so perfect parts of their personality. I must admit that sometimes in those moments, I think that I don't need to get mixed up in their messy problems. But...I know that God calls us to get mixed up in the problems of our friends lives as we press on toward the goal, to win the prize. Isn't that what I, as a Christian, am suppose to do when my brother or sister needs encouragement and grace? Isn't that why God continues to pour out His grace on me, so that I can pour it out on others? He gave us each other. We need each other. He gives us love so that we can share it!
Who knew that a trip to the thrift store would allow my heart to hear a revelation from my Father about encouraging and showing mercy to my friends? Isn't God cool in that way? He uses everything in our lives to bring us closer to His heart. Until next time...enjoy the small moments of revelation!

No comments:

Post a Comment