Sunday, March 1, 2015

Simple Things

Hey all!
Sometimes it is the simple things that speak the most to my heart these days. I know...I am simple and why should I be surprised that simple things speak to me? I guess I'm not really that surprised, but thankful!
I went for a walk around my yard with my daughter this week. We were looking at all the dead branches on the trees about to burst out in life. We saw the little yellow bells that were just starting to awaken from a long dark slumber. We saw the birds that were building new nests from the leftovers of a nest past. We saw the tiny little bits of green starting to emerge from the dead ground all over the yard.

In that moment a simple truth was brought to my mind: God is always doing a new thing and He brings life from death! Isaiah reminded us of this:
"See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the desert and streams in the desert." -Isaiah 43:19
I have to be honest, it is so much easier to look at my circumstances and see the death...or the bad...in every day. It is hard to have the hope that He is bringing a new thing and life to my circumstances. I like to think that I am not unlike many of you in this struggle. At times, everyday can be a struggle. The hope comes in our believing that the new and life will come. Think about it, spring always comes. The flowers make their way to the surface of the dead ground and break forth. The trees continue to grow. It is His plan!
So here is my challenge for myself and you: Grab your boots, take a walk, marvel at God's world and be reminded that He never changes and that means that He is working on something new in your life if you are trusting Him and He will bring life!
Another simple truth came when I was having a not-so-great-day, and, just to be honest, wasn't feeling very thankful about much of anything. Heck, I was just straight up angry about circumstances in my life. I even had a "discussion" with God, where frankly, I wasn't really listening at all, just telling God why my situation wasn't very desirable. The details aren't that important, I'll just say that it was not a God-glorifying day.
At the end of the day, I was sitting in the rocking chair listening to my husband read a Bible story to our daughter when he began to sing. My daughter joined him as she swayed her head back and forth. My husband was singing, "Jesus Loves Me". My heart slammed inside me. Here I was, complaining about my situation and wondering if God was even listening to me, and was reminded by a simple children's song that God does love me. He hasn't forgotten about me instead, He loves me! Wow! It doesn't take much!
The last simple thing happened this morning as I was singing praise songs with my little family. The song below was playing when God reminded me that He is in control...of everything! Not just some things in my life or the world, but EVERYTHING! This was so comforting to my heart. May it be comforting to you as well. Enjoy listening and perhaps singing along!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG-zoopwV_I
Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment