Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Something To Believe In

While on vacation, I was eating lunch at a local diner. This diner was filled to the brim with character. There were fun signs and saying all over the walls. The people working there were unique and full of personality. I would even go so far as to say that the food was unique and different. It was overall a very fun experience and let me just say that I would defiently go back.
As I was eating my food, there was an older gentleman sitting a nearby table chatting with some younger men about the war and what it was like. I enjoyed listening to him talk about what it was like when he was in the service. I could tell that he was enjoying having an audience and his companions were enthralled with his stories. I also overheard another conversation with a family at another table. It was funny to hear them talking about a recent trip to the shoe store. Now before you go on thinking that I just sit around listening to other peoples conversations, please understand that those that I heard were talking loud enough for the whole diner to hear and I enjoyed good conversation with the people at my table also.
So, finally I was waiting to pay and heard a conversation between a young man and an older man. The young man was trying to convince the older man that there was indeed a book of secrets that the President of the United States has and uses. The young man used everything from Hollywood folklore to actual facts to support his belief. As I listened for a few brief moments, I was hit with realization that this young man simply wants something, anything, to believe in. I don’t know much about a book of secrets, but I do know that when we have something to believe in there is a hope for tomorrow. This young man in all his zeal about a book of secrets has missed the most important thing to believe in. It is Christ. He is the only one who can give us a hope and a future. Sure the enemy can give false hope in many things, but he can never give true hope. True hope comes only through the Lord.
So, I learned a lesson today... everyone wants something to believe in. I have a responsibility to point those people to my Lord, who is my hope. Why would I do anything less? Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment