Thursday, May 26, 2011

Ruins

Hey dear ones,
I was recently hiking with a friend when we came up on some ruins of an old mill. I have always been intrigued by ruins and I like to imagine what life must have been like when the building was fully operational. Ruins are also a reminder of a simplier way of life. In a way it makes me sad to think that we no longer value what was once valued; a simple life.
As much as I could go on and on about a simple life, that isn't what I wanted to share. God has been taking me on a journey of discovery and one thing He has shown me is that we can be ruins. We as Christians can become ruins. Umm...before you decide to go to another page and ignore this post, hear me out...I promise, I'm gonna make sense in a minute.
Before I saw the ruin of the mill, I was traveling down the road and saw a dilapidated barn. When I saw that barn,  I clearly heard in my spirit the Lord telling me, "Joy, that is what you have looked like". I was thinking, "God, I don't know what you are talking about. I am young and smart. I'm not tired and empty. What could you possibly be talking about?" As I prayed about it, I realized that the Lord was teaching me that by putting religion and church ahead of my relationship with Him, I was like a ruining building. There was odd beauty about me, but there was nothing of any substance inside the building. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that having theology and going to church is bad, they are good. But when they take the place of seeking the face of God and having a personal relationship with Him, it can turn a person into a ruin.
In that moment of realization, I was humbled by the love of my Father. Even in the moments of my seeking other things (that are sometimes good things), my Father pursues a personal relationship with me and wants to continue to save me from becoming a ruin. WOW!!! This really blew my socks off. I pray that by sharing this glimpse into my faith walk, your socks will also be blown off and you will turn to seek God in new ways. God bless until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment