Saturday, May 14, 2011

Things That Are True, Noble, Right, Pure, Lovely, Admirable, Excellent And Praiseworthy

Happy Today!
As I often do, I headed out into the lovely woods to be with my Jesus today. It really was a lovely day and I was so enjoying the day until...Wait...I need to explain a few things before I continue with my story. I work in an office where I don't have control over the music that is being played all day long. This is not really a problem, but I think it will make more sense if you know that. Also, there is this one song that plays over and over and over during the day. It is a catchy little song, but it is full of things that are not, umm...godly.
So, back to my story. I was hiking along enjoying the day, when "that song" popped into my head. I was shocked and surprised when I knew the words and the tune without the music. Again there isn't anything "wrong" with this song, but it really bothered me that I was trying to have time with my Jesus and this silly song would not get out of my head. I am being as serious as a heart attack, that song would not go away. I even started singing praise songs just to try to get "that song" out of my head.
Then I stopped in my tracks and realized that God was trying to teach me something. He is trying to teach me that everything in my life has an influence on who I am and how I spend my time.
Then He went a step further and said this is what I want you to look like. "Since you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience." (Colossians 3:1-2, 8 and 12) He wants me to be set apart...not because there is something "wrong" with something, like music, but because He wants me for himself. He doesn't want "that song" to pop into my mind when He is having a special set apart time with me. I know that I can relate to that feeling. When I am with my family, I will sometimes not answer my cell phone, because I want that special time with my family not to be interrupted. It's not that I don't want to talk to the person who is calling, but in that moment it is more important to me to have that set apart time with my family.
Just one more thought along these lines:
"Finally my brothers (and sisters), whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things." Philippians 4:8

No comments:

Post a Comment