Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Blueberry Season...That Means Streusel

Happy Today!
Blueberries are in season and I am so thrilled! Blueberries or as my friend says, b b's, are a good source of antioxidants and are low in calories. I like to say that they are the perfect snack. I really like them right out of the freezer, the perfect cold snack.
 My family and I have found a new (to us anyway) recipe that we love. It is soooo delicious that my family keeps asking me to make it. It is a Blueberry and Cheese Streusel. I looks super elegant and is so easy to prepare.
I was going to take a picture of a sliced piece, but it got eaten before I could grab a picture, so you will just have to make this for yourself to see the yummy inside.

Blueberry and Cheese Streusel
Batter:
2 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
Filling:
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 egg
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon lemon peel, grated
Topping:
1/2 cup nuts, chopped
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Prepare batter by combining flour, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl; using a pastry cutter or 2 knives, cut in butter. Set aside one cup of crumb mixture. To remaining mixture, add baking powder, milk, eggs and vanilla. Beat for 2 minutes then pour mixture into a lightly oiled 13x9 baking pan; layer blueberries over batter. Combine filling ingredients and layer on top of blueberries. Combine topping ingredients and mix with reserved crumb mixture, sprinkle over filling layer. Bake streusel at 350 for about 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Makes 20 servings.

Enjoy! Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment