Friday, July 22, 2011

Getting Hit By A Refrigerator Door

Hey friends,
So, I can now say that I have been hit by a refrigerator door. Can you have bragging rights for things such as these? I'm not sure, but I know that it's something I will never forget. It will forever be etched on my memory. It wasn't really as bad as it sounds and even now I can chuckle and laugh about it.
So here is the scoop:
I was in my car driving home from a long, hard day at work. I was traveling through the middle of my town, so I wasn't going that fast and I was stopping and starting for red lights. After about the fourth red light, I found myself behind a truck that had a new refrigerator in it. For some reason the doors to the refrigerator were taken off the hinges and were also in the back of the truck. As I followed this truck for a few minutes, my tummy started getting a bit rumbly and I remembered a brownie in my lunch bag.
We were stopped at yet another red light and I reached into my bag for the brownie. I guess in that moment as I was getting the brownie, the light changed and the truck in front of me moved forward.  As the truck moved forward, apparently one of the refrigerator doors came flying off the truck. In an instant, I saw the door. I didn't have time to respond. The door hit my bumper and then I ran over it. Bump! Bump! And then...I thought I had busted a tire. In reality I didn't bust my tire, I was dragging the refrigerator door with my back tire. At this point in my journey, I was not in a good section of town, and I remember just asking the Lord to protect me, because I knew I needed to pull off the road and make sure that I hadn't busted a tire. As I pulled into a parking area, my back tires popped off the door and I realized that everything was really okay. With Mozart playing in the background, I found that my car had passed through the ordeal unscathed. This was just the icing on an already hard day. I had two choices: laugh or cry. I chose to laugh! As I stood in the parking area laughing with Mozart still playing in the background, the driver of the truck came running up the road to check on me. When he found that I was okay and my car was not damaged, he apologized one last time and went on his way.
As I laughed with my family about the new bragging rights that I have, I realized something else about this whole situation. God protected me in a big way. At the exact moment that the door was flying off the truck, I had paused at the light a moment longer to find the brownie in my lunch bag. If I had not paused, that door could have easily flown right into my windshield and it would have hit my side of the car. I don't believe that it was a coincidence that my tummy got rumbly. I don't think it was a coincidence that I still had a brownie in my lunch bag. I know that God is my protection. It says in Psalm 121: 7 and 8: "The LORD will keep you from all harm- he will watch over your life; the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore." God protected me from the refrigerator door and He used a simple brownie to do it. Whoever said that chocolate is a girls best friend, must have known that a brownie would be used to protect me from a potentially bad accident.
This girl knows that she is blessed to know the God who protects (and occasionaly uses chocolate to do it)! This girl knows who has her back and to be honest, I wouldn't want it any other way. God is my protection! All praise to my God and King!!!
Until the next adventure...

No comments:

Post a Comment