Monday, March 14, 2011

1st Ever Quilt - Installment # 1

Hello dear friends,
My friend Mary and I are embarking on yet another adventure...quilting. One might say that we have too much time on our hands and others may say that we are just too stinkin' ambious. At the moment, Mary and I might agree with both, but we are sticking it out and lovin' every minute of it!
So, apparently the first step to being a great quilter is to have the "right" tools. Here is the problem, we didn't know what the "right" tools were. Thankfully there were very kind souls at the fabric stores who helped us in our quest for the so called "right" tools.
After picking out our tools and debating over which fabrics to buy, we headed off to our first quilting class.



During our first class we learned how to use our tools. The rotary cutter in the above picture is my favorite new tool, but it's also the most intimidating. That first cut was making me sweat...I mean, what if I made a wrong cut or something? Even worse, what if I cut my finger? Yikes!!! Now can you understand the intimidation? We learned to cut out fabric and sew the pieces to create our quilt top.
In the world of quilts there are many different kinds of patterns that you can use. The one that we are using is called a rail fence pattern. That's quilt talk for sewing three pieces of fabric together and cutting it into a block. (Aren't you proud of me for using my new quilting language?)
I think my favorite part of this process was picking out how I wanted the quilt to be put together. Like any good woman, I changed my mind at least 5 times.
The best part of this adventure is being able to share it with a good friend. Above are our quilt tops, all ready for the next quilting class. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment