Thursday, March 31, 2011

Hard Days

Hey friends,

I am writing this blog post after many hard days. There have been many things to happen and at the moment it feels like everything is raining down on me and others. Before I continue with all the things that have been hard, let me just say that the Lord is always good and His mercies are new everyday. It says in Lamentations 3:22 and 23, "Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." That is what my heart cries even after many hard days.

Like many of you, my world seemed shaken during the recent shootings in Athens. My personal emotions about the shootings have been as varied as they come. Anger. Fear. Loss. Victory. Hate. Peace. Calm. Anxious. Love. And the list could go on. Officer Christian, who has served our community with great integrity was not a personal friend, but was a brother in Christ. His family has been on my heart and in my prayers. I don't even pretend to understand his death and the loss that so many now feel. I have chosen to focus on God and His glory. He will have glory in all situations!

Another thing that has made these past few days hard is that my brother was in the hospital for surgery. The surgery went so well and I just want to take a moment to glorify the Lord. In a nut shell, my brother had a calcified mass the size of a baseball in the back of his leg...it needed to be removed. The mass could have caused much damage to muscles, tendons and even his spine. The doctor was amazed when there wasn't any damage to any muscles and tendons. I know that was the work of God and no one else. Because of several factors during my brothers recovery, he was in the hospital for 4 days. Emotionally and physically that was just draining for eveyone including my brother. Just as a quick update: we are home from the hospital and all seems to be going well. We continue to pray for a full recovery and that there will not be any bone to try and grow back in the same place (which is always a possibility).

As some of you may know, I am have been taking care of a precious dog named, Bootsie, while her owners are away. She has been a sweet companion to me during the past few weeks. I think that God gave us pets as a sweet comfort and companionship when we need it most. It has saddened my heart so much because on Sunday night she was hit by a car and died. My dad and I buried her on Tuesday morning. It was such a hard thing to do. She was loved by so many and I truly feel that she loved them back. Bootsie will be missed.

It seems like I have been on an emotional rollercoaster, but one thing has remained the same. And that is my God and His love for me. I just wanted to share all this with you, not so that you can look at me and what is going on with me, but so that you can look at my God and the beauty that He can bring from ashes. "To bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair." -Isaiah 61:3

I know that I have been kind of long-winded today, but thanks for bearing with me. If you have a little more time, check out this song from Hillsong, it beautifully represents God's love in the dry places.

1 comment: