Saturday, April 9, 2011

Another Lesson from the Deer

WOW!!! That is about all I can say after what happened this afternoon.
I was sitting on the porch enjoying an afternoon chat with my mom and sister. The sun was out and we were enjoying a quiet reprieve from the daily things that keep us so busy. The birds were singing and there was a slight breeze. It couldn't get much better...At least that's what I thought.
My mom became very quiet and turned to me, as if to say, listen. I heard it! As we were listening, we could hear rustling in the woods in front of the house. Then...we saw it...a beautiful doe. She was looking for an afternoon snack. She poked her nose around for some time and my mom, sister and I continued our conversation in low tones.
My mom became quiet yet again and I looked where the doe had been. There were three more deer. One looked to be a teenage fawn, another doe and possibly a button buck. They jumped the fence, separating the woods from the driveway, and then they headed toward the house for a nibble or two on the rose bush.
We watched these beautiful animals for about 45 minutes. They were peaceful and enjoyed their meal. However, if you watched carefully, you would see that their ears were always alert to hear anything that sounded like danger. At different points during the time that we were watching, the original doe and the button buck would lift their heads and flick their ears.
After observing them for a time, I went inside to grab my camera and take a few pictures of them. (I mean they were so close, and I knew that I would be able to get some great pictures.) When I went back outside, I crept down the walkway to get a better picture. As I did, all the deer froze, flicked their ears and leaped into the woods. Either I or the noise from the road frightened them and they flipped their white tails in the air and avoided what they thought was danger.
After my mom and sister left, I stayed on the porch and pondered (you know how I love to ponder) what I had just seen. I was amazed that God gave the deer the ability to be at peace but also alert to danger. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks...He gave me the same ability. I can be at peace and rest in Him, but also be alert to the plans and schemes of the enemy. Actually, Exodus 14:14 says, "The Lord will fight for you, and you shall hold your peace and remain at rest." If I am resting in God's peace, He will fight for me.
All I can say is: WOW!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment