Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Old Movies and Orphans

Hello!
I love, I mean I love old movies!!! I have always enjoyed old movies. I think it's because they are about real things that real people go through. Also, there is an innocence about the characters that is seriously lacking in movies that are made now. Ok, I won't go down a rabbit trail about movies today and the lack of morals. What I really wanted to share was this:
My friend and I had an old movie night. (Side note: It's so fun to be a girl and enjoy girly things with friends.) Anyway, back to the story. We didn't really know what we wanted to watch, but finally decided to watch Jane Eyre.
I enjoyed the movie very much, but what really spoke to my heart was what happened at the beginning of the film. At the beginning, Jane Eyre is taken to Lowood Institution, which is very much like an orphanage. The girls there are treated with contempt. Jane Eyre describes the living conditions as having no heat in the cold of the winter, no warm water to bathe in, being served food that is not eatable, and generally being ignored if possible. Jane is even there with her friend as her little friend dies in Lowood. These descriptions broke my heart. Not because these horrors were in a movie, but because of the realization that there are boys and girls all over the world that still live in the same conditions.
Hello world, wake up! There is suffering and pain in childrens lives all over the world, EVERY day! Suffering and pain is not just in Africa, Europe, or China, but right here in the USA.
You may think, great I see the pain and suffering, but what can only one person do? I have been learning this past year that one person can't do everything, but one person can do something.
The first step to doing something is knowledge. Do a google search on human trafficking or at-risk kids and you will find so much information.
The next step is to become involved in an organization that is already making a difference. (We are to seek where the Lord is at work and join Him there, right?) Here are a few organizations that I know are making a serious difference:
http://www.dreamcenter.org/
http://www.philip-cameron.org/
http://www.hopechest.org/
http://www.compassion.com/
Who would have known that a simple old movie night would turn into the Lord touching my heart?!? I guess God can use anything if our hearts are prepared to hear His voice.
Blessings until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment